Monday, August 30, 2004

A snippet of life with my DH

Like many well educated and intelligent men, my sweet DH can be completely clueless. (I wish I could figure out how to put a link on this page! I read a pee-yer-pants-funny entry a few days ago about a friend’s husband who was sleeping, but somehow set off the house alarm by mistake, fell down the stairs when the cops arrived, and when he opened the door to the boys in blue – get this!! He weren’t wearin’ no jammie bottoms!!! Mind you, this fellow is scary smart, and has a very important job, like Chief of Aeronautics at NASA, or something. But I am sure he wears a complete set of jammies to the office.)

So, my DH and maps... I wanted to go to a play group a nice mama invited me to join and did not know how to get to the playgroud. She had sent me an email with the name of the park and the town, so I thought I’d just look it up on my handy-dandy A to Z Street Finder, which I always carry in my car. I get lost an awful lot. It was late-ish, and I was getting the babies to bed, so the DH said – “I’ll find the park, Honey!” (You have to read that in a deep, manly I’ll-save-you voice.) I said thank you, told him which e-mail had the park’s name in it, and went into the nursery with the twins. Thirty seven minutes later, and I know how long it was because I looked at the time when I went into the room and again when I managed to sidle away, he was still on the computer, but surfing the web.

“What’s up? Where is this park?”
“I can’t find it! It’s not listed. The closet park with that name is near Lake Tahoe, but that can’t be right...”
“Good call! I am sure that’s not it. (We live in New England.) Did you get the spelling of the park name from the e-mail?”
“Yes, here it is. San Sebastian Park, Mustela.”
“Sweetheart, here's the e-mail, it reads the park is San Salvatore, and it is two towns over. The town name is right there. Where did you get that other town? Mustela? Is that some suburb?”
“I don’t know; it was in the e-mail!” Clearly peeved, he gets back on line, and types in San Salvatrice Park and hits GO! I put on my slippers and go get my Street Finder from the car.

Four and one half minutes later, I am looking in the Index.

“Hey,” says I, “There is no San Salvatore Park listed. Let’s call her up.”

Ring ring. The conversation was as follows: Hi. Hi. Where’s the playgroup tomorrow? At San Salvatore Park, on Mustela Street, two towns over. Thank you, see you there. OK. See you there.

I go to Map Quest, type in the street and town, and see an unnamed green glob on the map, at the end of Mustela Street. That must be it. I find the corresponding green glob on my Street Finder and jot down directions. Total time: approximately fourteen minutes. Meanwhile, my DH is still on line (good thing we have two computers) muttering about San Antonio Park in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and how he can’t see the screen clearly when he’s tired. But he does give good directions in his hometown.

3 Comments:

Blogger nita said...

isn't mustela the baby goo we use??!!!

11:21 AM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

I don't use real names for *anything* - to protect the guilty.

11:55 AM  
Blogger scarletharlot69 said...

> I wish I could figure out how to put a link on this page!

dead easy. when writing blog in the blogger's text editor. make sure you are in edit html mode. highlight the text where you want the link to go. then move mouse over to the insert link button, should be at the top of the editor, click. a box will come up where you insert your url. click ok and the link should be in. click preview to make sure.

love and liberation

Bluebell x

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home