Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Leek Soup Virus

Well, here I was, all ready to snatch the Heavyweight Belt in the Bad Mother of the Year Championship out of Julie’s hands. However, I must admit, this is not my fault. By this I mean the vomiting and diarrhea my boys and I have been busy with over the past 24 hours.

Yesterday morning I made some soup, to be eaten at lunch by the boys and me. I chopped up onions, carrots, butternut squash, made meatballs, and threw in a big handful of leeks. Yes, leeks. I made soup with leeks for my 18 month-old twins. I had for gotten how the leek can react with the intestine. The fact that my intestines are 35 years old and theirs are 18 months old and still developing, I had forgotten.

So, we all had a nice big bowl of soup for lunch, went to the store, came home and went outside to play. It’s a good thing we were outside, because the most horrific, old man in a bar farts were erupting from my boys’ rear ends. Which I know was the fault of the leeks. They weren’t the loudest, but they were stink-EEE. And they didn’t just fart all afternoon, no, it got better.

After changing Baby B’s exploding-stink-to-heaven diaper, as he yelled and rolled around during the change, I looked up to see Baby A with a face of pure distress. I thought, “Oh dear, stink-o number two…” but I was wrong. Poor Baby A said. “Mama!” and threw up down his jacket and on the grass. He continued until all the undigested leeks, and the Cordon Bleu quality macedoine, were on the grass. He threw up for about ten minutes, after which he seemed a-okay. They played a bit on the lawn, avoiding the up-chuck, and rearranged some rocks and then we went in for a snack. Which Baby A threw up. And he continued to vomit for a little while; I was somewhat concerned about dehydration. But he settled to nurse (bless that lactation!) and then he fell asleep on my shoulder.

So there I was, cursing myself up and down for feeding the boys leek soup and thinking, “Golly, Baby B has an iron constitution.” Then, in the night, I started to feel ill, and had to take a few minutes in the bathroom, as my intestines made all kinds of terrible noises. “Hmmm, I drank the soup around 11 and now it’s 1:00 am, I wonder why it took so long?”

Then, this morning, Baby A, who had fallen asleep at 6:30 pm woke up at 5:00 am, jumped on my stomach. Yikes! Pain and nausea! Again, I was in the bathroom for a little while, then little Baby B woke up, and he too started to vomit.

Therefore, I must conclude we have a stomach virus, and the leek soup really had nothing to do with anything, except give Baby B and me some lunch, and give Baby A something in his stomach to throw up. This virus must have come from the DH, who was vomiting on Monday night and all day Tuesday. What a generous man!

Julie, you still beat me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like no fun at all! I hope you are all all better now.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home