Monday, April 11, 2005

Second time around

Second children, and/or second pregnancies, are like marriage after a divorce; it's the triumph of hope over reason.

Last night my twins fell asleep at 8:00 and 8:30 and then woke up again at 11:00 and 11:30. I nursed them one at a time, them together until about 2:00, and then I gave up. We all got out of bed; the DH included, and gave them a snack. They devoured a whole banana each (Aha! They were hungry!) and ran around a bit turning lights on and off. (Aha! They were bored!) The DH then took them for a ride in the car; they were quite cute about it, chatting and laughing in their car seats, in anticipation of an outing...at THREE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING. While they were out I did some ironing, rolled out some croissants for a party and had a snack myself.

Then they came home, woke up almost immediately, started screaming and had another nursing frenzy until about 5:30. (Aha! They were thirsty!) THEN they fell asleep (Aha! They were tired!) until 7:30 and ate a huge breakfast. (Aha! They were hungry!)

I got about ZERO hours of sleep, the DH had about the same, and as a result I was somewhat zombiefied at the playgroup today. (Yes, I went to the playgroup. There was no way I was going to stay home with two unpredictable beasties after no sleep. The playground offers more scope for distraction than an exhausted grouchy mama alone in a house. ) They had a great time on the slide, they each had a snack and a meltdown and both fell asleep in the car en route home. (Aha! They have no idea what they want!)

After a few cups of coffee and a bowl of soup I feel okay, but still a bit shaky and worn out. Last night, as I lay dying, I kept thinking about all my friends who are having second and third children, who are expecting twins, who want bigger families and who seem happy about it. Are they effing nuts? Why else would anyone willing enter a situation that entails late night torture at the hands of a merciless toddler? What part of the sleepless night/messy house/ destroyed body/grey haired/wrinkled face present makes someone want to reproduce it at a future date?

Back when I was a know it all/self-righteous pregnant person, I couldn't imagine wanting to go for a walk without my precious babies in tow as well. Now I can't imagine hanging on to my precious sanity with my babies in tow as well.

Who do I have to f**k to get some sleep around here? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? And don't suggest the DH; he’s too wrung out to consider anything more strenuous than a BJ.

And he might fall asleep on me at that...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wonder what prompts people to get pregnant again. Do they just forget how hard it is? Is it just harder for some of us than others? I only have one but I can't imagine wanting another child right now.

4:06 PM  
Blogger nita said...

i plan to leave well enough alone :)

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds like a frustrating night! We've had nights like those where we wonder why we had THESE kids, let alone any more! :)

That said, yes, I am crazy. I have 10 month old twins and I want another one. A singleton would be nice. Of course, I haven't reached the 18-month old phase yet, so I could be thinking NO MORE KIDS, GOD, PLEASE! in another year. Despite the frustration and difficulties, our girls are just so cool that we've said from the beginning, "Well, maybe one more." Neither of us have discounted it at this time.

My apprehension lies more with the cost and difficulty of getting pregnant than the having of a kid. It helps that we're going on 3 months of few to no night wakenings (not bragging, just a statement). I think you can deal with SO MUCH MORE when you're well-rested. If it helps at all, I've heard from Moxie and Summer (not sure if you read them, links are on my blog) that 18 months is a sleep disturbance age. They just go crazy for a month or so and then back to sleeping all night.

Here's hoping for a restful night tonight!

Linda
http://indigogirl.typepad.com

P.S. Sorry for all the exclamation points and CAPS. I had a Pepsi.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seemed remarkably with-it, but maybe I'm just used to seeing you operating on few hours of sleep. Reminds me of that old joke about the guy who started behaving strangely; it turned out nobody had ever seen him sober before.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your poor DH!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home