Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Tiger Flap

Yesterday I hung out with a pal, who, like me, has two cats. One of her cats has that flap of fatty skin hanging below his belly, which is also called an apron. She was petting him and mourning the fact he wasn’t as sleek as he could be. I pointed out that a lot of wild cats, like cheetahs and lions and tigers, have that apron too.

I said I think it’s there so the tiger can expand comfortably after he consumes two wildebeest for dinner and half an antelope for dessert. Our domestic cats get this apron too, some from being fat, some from pregnancy and others, like the Egyptian Mau, have the belly flap as a genetic trademark of the breed. So we were talking about the cats’ aprons and I said – That’s what I am going to call my belly skin now; The Tiger Flap. It sounds a lot better than saying that icky-saggy-stretch-marked-belly-fat-I-hate. It’s quicker and cleverer too, and I just looove simultaneous speed and intelligence in a gal!

Later in the day we were discussing our DHs. Like me, she has two children, and we both are professionally licensed stay at home mothers. There we were, in a bar at 4:30 in the afternoon, drinking champagne, talking about our husbands and their careers. I commented that my husband was doing quite well for working in a very new field. She commented that her husband has another few years of fellowship before he can get involved in his real career as a research and development guy. Both our families are quite young, and both our husbands are in progress as far as work is concerned.

I said, ‘Yes, your DH is on target and mine is in the 75% percentile for weight and career growth.”

After a few glasses of bubby we thought that was just hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home