Monday, July 26, 2004

I think they think I'm an idiot...

I went to visit a gal pal of mine, who had a baby recently.  The chipmunk is about a month old and was a little on the early side, about three weeks so.  She spent some time in the NICU, so Mommy and Daddy had a few stressful days before bringing her home.  The little one is just fine now and M and D have settled into their newborn baby routine.  However, keeping their situation in mind, how they might be feeling and knowing my duty to keep it light and tension free, I was careful with my conversation.  But not careful enough it seems…

Get this:  I was sitting on the sofa, chatting with Mommy and admiring the new baby, as one does.  The Daddy comes in while we are talking about watching TV, the perils of and the studies by the American Academy of Pediatrics on ADHD and TV watching for children under age two.  The gist is; children under two should not watch TV at all.  Period.  This is one of my two main soapboxes; I avoid the sun like it’s going to kill me and I can’t stand the insipid, contemporary trash on television (except Sex and the City – that show rocks – mainly because I love clothes and I can see it on DVD and don’t have to suffer through the commercials.  That’s what I really loathe; those wretched jingles stick in your mind like barbed wire to an expensive sweater and those misogynistic beer commercials get me so irritated…but I am getting off track here.)  Anyway, the Daddy comes into the conversation just as I said something along the lines of – “Children are so much smarter and more creative if they don’t watch TV.  I plan on not letting my boys see it at all for as long as I can.”  His reply was – “We plan on seeing how much TV she can watch daily, to see how stupid we can make her.”  They exchanged an amused smirk, when they thought I wasn’t looking.

I guess I don’t have the market on thinking other people are idiots, eh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

We've watched nearly no TV (except a little football) since our son Alex was born. I don't miss it at all. I think having young kids watch TV is about as smart as getting them started on cigarettes at an early age.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

The gal pal in question is a really odd bird, who no longer speaks to me because my sister said, "Hey, I don't think you are patient."

Odd ball.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home