Saturday, August 07, 2004

DH asks me to shave his head

I took a bold step a few weeks ago and went to a hairdresser. My, what a bold step you might say to yourself, in a sarcastic tone, of course. However, it was a bold step, for the hairdresser was previously unknown to me, in New Jersey, and I asked her to cut it short and give me bangs.

For the past 10 years I have had my hair as long as I can, and had it cut about twice a year. I have worn it one length, so I can pull it into a ponytail or up on my head, and have only gone to salons owned by those I know personally or that I’ve read about in Vogue. The New Jersey cut was fine (after I went to my friend-the-genius-who-does-hair-too and had her make the bangs a bit heavier, so they are easier to manage) and I can still get it in a ponytail, when I use about 14 bobby pins. It takes a bit of fussing to make it stylish; if I don’t blow-dry the back and side I have a rocker-chick hair do, kind of channeling Joan Jett, if she were about 40 pounds heavier. BUT the bangs were a revelation. I am still not totally accustomed to looking in the mirror and seeing a China Doll look back. I look….younger. Which can only be a good thing.

My husband (my DEAR husband) must have been inspired, for last weekend he said – “You can shave my head, if you want.” We didn’t have a lot of time, what with two babies and all and a batch of brownies to make (I had promised our neighbor to bring baked goods to her tag sale in a fit of domestication) and the lawn to mow and rake and the garden to weed and laundry to do – you know, the usual relaxing weekend of fun and games, so I had to make the haircut quick. I sat him down, took out the electric clippers, put on the number two guide and zzzzip. Now he looks like he just came home from the Middle East.

I hope I get better at this hair-cutting thing – I don’t want him to appear moth eaten. He really likes it short, and actually asked me to “tighten it up” for him today. His friends at work like it too. He told me one of his co-workers said – “ Man, I wish I had the balls to shave my head.” And one of his VPs, with very short hair, said – “Looking good!”

Isn’t it funny how a little thing like, a new haircut, or bangs, can make a big thing like, your life and how you see yourself, so much better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home