Sunday, October 10, 2004

Random Thoughts...Part Two

Briefly on cats’ claws

I take care of 96 nails. Twenty for each baby, twenty for me and each cat has 18. It seems as if I must be careful at every turn, sharp little talons are everywhere! I must take care not to let the babies scratch me, (their nails grow so quickly!) and they like to pinch me while they nurse. It can be pretty annoying.

Every now and then I think – “I need to stop nursing them, this pinching and scratching is getting irritating.” But then I think – “What a selfish thought! How can I deprive my babies of nourishment and love and security just because they occasionally pinch and scratch me? Poor fellas!” Then, two minutes later, they are at it again, scraping their nails across my décolletage, and gouging into my fat rolls, and since both of my hands are busy holding them up and supporting their heads and holding my magazine, or the phone, I don’t have a hand free to defend myself, and I’m thinking of weaning them again. Yep – something else I am conflicted about.

I must also protect the babies from being swiped by the cats. I keep their claws clipped short. My black cat simply gets up and leaves the room if they pester him too much, he can be pretty intelligent. My white cat is not always so intelligent, but he is extremely patient and kind and lets the boys yank on him much harder than I ever would. However, sometimes they get him wrong, or pull on his tail, and he growls and raises a paw with claws out, as if to remind them he is armed and dangerous. He has yet to actually swipe, but I keep the claws trimmed closely to minimize any potential damage.

My own nails are short these days. Thanks to the pre/post natal vitamins I am still popping, my claws grow very fast, and I cut them down practically every other week. I may give up on me, and just go back to long nails, as I had for years and years. They can be quite useful, at times. For example, I could have used a nice long fingernail or two to peel a sticker (read: choking hazard) off one of the two thousand toys they received for their birthday. As it was, I just nibbled on the toy until my saliva softened the sticker enough to be rubbed off with my fingers. The babies watched me with these bewildered expressions that clearly said – “Well, hey! If you can chew on the toy and eat the sticker, why can’t we?” Sorry babies. Life ain’t fair.

All these nails. It’s rather like painting the George Washington Bridge by oneself, with a bucket and a brush. Even before the job is done, it’s time to start again.

2 Comments:

Blogger nita said...

amanda always has the best ideas...

96? yeesh. and try 'goofoff' for the stickers, although the post removal sucking on that poison probably isn't the BEST idea...

6:53 PM  
Blogger momotrips said...

Hysterical! When I was pregnant, the "60 tiny nails" was my #1 obsession. Really. Luckily, our dog was an outside dog who wore her own nails down and our cat was declawed in front. But the 60 tiny nails, they kept me awake at night. I'm just happy now that the boys are six that one is a nail-biter - less work for Mom! Yay! I know, a vile habit, but we'll tackle that at a later date.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home