Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'm off the ledge, thank you.

Well hello there, Internet. I’m off the ledge now, and ready to get on with my life, AKA The Survival of the Glibbest. I am sure it’s the weather/being cooped up/being a little unwell still/missing my spin classes for a few days that have made me feel crabbier and less tolerant than usual. I have my appointment with the crunchy granola endocrinologist, all set up. He has promised to look at more than just the lab results when dealing with my thyroid disorder. I hear he actually asks "How do you feel?" I have reasonably lofty hopes about this fella – I was referred by a fellow hypo-thyroidic woman, and I read some good stuff on the Internet about his approach. Maybe I really am a bit out of whack. (Now, Don’t say “Duh!” quite so loudly, Signorina Fiorentina…)

However gloomy as I have been, these past few weeks, I have not lost my all of my glib-itlities. Why just this afternoon I made a gal pal laugh out loud. I told her, when she called me on the cell, that I was taking my boys out for a Republican Party nap. She thought I meant that I had put them in the car for a drive because they were being so naughty – therefore – Republican. I actually meant that I was driving around solely to get them to nap. I didn't really need to be in the car, therefore I was unnecessarily burning fossil fuels. But her interpretation was kinda accurate. I hope I won’t soon be calling those drives ANWR Naps. Let’s cross our fingers as we watch C-Span, eh?

Glibness is a trait my boys have definitely inherited from their mama. Baby A charms his teacher at school by singing "Twinkle Twinkle" as he goes about his business all day, and the front office administrator told me that she was just in love with Baby A. He had broken away from his class, on the way in from the playground, had come into her office. He then proceeded to tell her all about her office – the books, the snowman picture, the flowers and so on. She said, “Oh, he’s just like a little man, who knows exactly what is going on! But he’s so small!” (Today was Valentine’s Day, so to seal this “relationship” I asked him to give her a big bunch of roses. He walked right up to her, and said, “Take ‘em!” and she was just so delighted. They were great roses, a light pinky purple, and he did look so sweet carrying them the door. I swear; all the oxygen was sucked out of the room by her intake of breath. I hope this means she’ll waive the late fee if I’m late with the tuition…)

Baby B has his own charm, and a way of repeating something I have told him, but for days and days and days and days. Over a month ago there was an emergency street cleaning/snow-clearing ordinance on certain streets in our fair city. That meant that all cars had be moved off certain blocks by a certain time or they would be towed. However, since the signs that explained all this were quite small, and only posted on two telephone poles along an entire three block “state of emergency” street, about fifteen cars were towed away at once. The towing occurred at 12:00, just as our playgroup burst out of the church where we meet, right before the watchful eyes of our playgroup. All the toddlers (my two included, ‘natch) were very concerned by this and needed lengthy explanations as to what was happening. Preacher Mom told the children that the cars were being naughty, because they were not supposed to block the street. That seemed to sink in, and we dispersed. It really sank in for Baby B, who, for weeks afterwards, informed me “No block street! Naughty Naughty!” every time we passed a line of parked cars. Yes, every time.

Also, there was a day when we drove past a car sliding on the ice lump left by a snow plow. You know what I mean – that speed bump the city plows leave blocking your driveway after you have spent two hours shoveling it all clear? Well, this poor lady’s city plow speed bump was solid ice and she wasn’t going forward or back. I pulled over, hopped out, and put a towel under the front tire. That way, when she started the car up again, and I gave her a push, the tire had something to grip. Two pushes and hey! Presto! She was on the road! Of course I had to explain it in detail to the boys. Baby B was really impressed and every time was pass the drive way he says, “Lady stuck car! Lady stuck car snow! Lady stuck snow!” Yes, every time we pass the driveway on the way to school, three days a week, twice a day, he says his thing. Every time…


I know all toddlers say the craziest things – so far mine have said -

Baby B “Tractor sleeping, sleeping with blanket!!” This is because there is an old tractor under a tarp in our neighbors yard. He wants to go for a ride and we had to explain why he couldn’t.

Baby A “Baby A no sleep! Need yip cream!” He calls his lips “yips” because he has a hard time with “L”. Baby A sees me apply a multitude of creams and unguents before I go to bed. One night I told him I couldn’t sleep unless I put on my night cream, so now, apparently, he can’t either.

Baby A likes to kiss things goodbye. He once kissed a Christmas tree “Bye Bye”, and then told me “Tree bite Baby A! No biting, tree!”

Both babies love the Yellow Submarine soundtrack. We listen to it often and they each have a favorite song. Baby B calls All Together Now “A-B-C-2-3!” for obvious reasons and Baby A asks for Hey Bulldog by saying “Yay b’dog! Yay b’dog!” until I play it.

Until the DH took away the TV, tired of the fighting over who watched what when, the twins liked to watch Bob the Builder. Now that they think the TV was broken, they ask to watch it on line, very occasionally. Baby B will refer to it as “Bada-bida

Hey, this could work out…his aunt does live in New Jersey. When he gets older, she can take him take him to that bar – you know, The Bada-bing.

Uh-Oh!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are too cute, those boys -- too cute. And how like you to remember the office administrator by bringing her roses. (You put the rest of us mothers to shame, MOT, because you remember to do something for everyone. Hey, I made chocolate brownies with frosting and valentine-colored M&M's tonight. I'll be bringing the 9/10 of the pan that didn't get eaten to the playgroup tomorrow. Does that count?) Glad you're feeling better. Kisses!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling a little better. No wonder - your babies say the sweetest and funniest things!
Mine are almost 6, and I can't remember many of those cute sayings, unless I go back and read old emails I sent in 2002. (I'm saving them to a journal file.) You'll be so glad of these little details in your blog some day.
Happy Valentine's Day!
SheilaC

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER MY MIDDLE SON CALLING BOB THE BUILDER...
"BOB THE BURGER" AND EVEN FUNNIER... HE CALLED SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS...
"PUN BOB PAIR OF PANTS" WE OFTEN REMIND HIM OF THIS! THEY APPRECIATE THESE MEMORIES SO KEEP A MENTAL NOTE!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, here're two from your niece and nephew:

N -- used to call her friend Jonah "Jo-nut"

L -- still says "jamanas" and the other night he kicked off the blankets complaining that he was "freezing hot!!"

1:58 PM  
Blogger formerteacher said...

Glad that you're feeling better. I also have hypothyroidism and am looking forward to hearing what the doc. you're seeing has to say about that.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE to read about the cute things your little ones say! You will all treasure this record of linguistic development!
With one in Nashville

5:17 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

It was great to have one on one time together the other day. God, I love your sense of humor and wit.

I'm so happy to know that you are feeling better.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home