Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Pingvin are in the building…

Just yesterday a large box from Scotland arrived at our house. I had a strong feeling as to what was inside, and upon opening the box and seeing two shipping boxes from Ikea, I had to say, “Whoop! Whoop!”

Yes in deedy – we now have four amazingly clean Klappar Pingvin chez nous. They arrived just in time too; King Pingvin the First was in desperate need of a wash. Since Little Baby A has a nasty cold, and is feeling fragile, he refuses to let go of it for too long. Germ-o-phobe that I can be, I was not happy about the sticky, dirty, slobbered on stuffed toy in bed with me. Can you say "Cooties?" So we put Ver. 1.0 in the wash while the boys were enjoying a bubble bath/getting the entire bathroom drenched. The DH stealthily took out 2.0, removed his tags, and had King Pingvin II ready to be handed over right after bath-time.

The nice Scottish student who made this all possible sent me the sales slip with the parcel. Each bird was 6 British pounds and 99 pence, and the shipping boxes were two for 1.19. The shipping cost $19, or thereabouts, so with the current exchange rate, we paid $15.50 per Pingvin. That was a mark up of about $5.50 per bird, since Ver 1.0 cost me $9.99, plus 60 cents tax. I feel that was a completely reasonable price to pay for peace of mind and peace from screeching.

Dani, who wound up with three red plush lobsters, would agree, I am sure. I was having an IM conversation with my pal, Library Lil, just as the Pingvins arrived. I wrote I now had four back ups, and maybe I should set up a shrine? She suggested I use one of them as a Voodoo Pingvin; and keep it handy in case any flightless water fowl piss me off in the future. Clever lady...

My sister said, “Watch, you’ll go through all this trouble, and then he’ll lose interest.” Golly, I hope not!

But what if he does lose the love he now feels? What if in three months from now he doesn’t even want to see a Pingvin, let alone carry one everywhere he goes? Well, I for one can guess what y’all’s kids are gettin’ for Christmas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Congratulations my friend. Although, I admit, my quest for more lobsters was considerably easier and less expensive I suspect. But, it does make life easier to have extras around.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home