Tuesday, August 10, 2004

We had a rough night...Sniffles and I...

We had a rough time last night. I love my sister and I love her children and I love my godson, her youngest, but my oh my! The germs these children collect at day care! Her little one had a runny nose, and my mother gave my Younger by Twenty Seconds Twin my sister’s baby’s sippy cup to drink from. Whoops. Thanks, Mother. Now my youngest has a bit of a cold, and was very congested yesterday. All the mamas reading this are thinking – “Oh boy! She was up all night!! Yep. I was up all night with Sniffles.

Older Baby has been doing a wake-up-three-times-a-night-and-cry-for-mama thing. But that’s normal now. Try tossing a snuffly, stuffy, crying (no, make that full throttle screaming) baby into the mix and you have yerself one heck of an evening. After thrashing around, trying to get us all comfortable and keep Stuffy’s head elevated, for a few hours in the queen size bed in our room, (the one with bed guards to stop little bodies from rolling out at night – it gets a little claustrophobic) I finally I went into the nursery with both boys at 11 PM. We have another big bed in there. It’s the same size as in the master bedroom, but feels bigger, because we have taken it off the box springs and put onto the floor. (Older Twin likes to go off the bed headfirst and he makes a perfect-ten landing from the six-inch bed-on-floor height) Snuffly Baby nursed to sleep like a long distance swimmer; he kept turning his head to the side to take a deep breath, then put his head down for more nursing; and once he was out, I put him into the car seat. Then I could nurse Older Twin, who was pretty crabby at this point, not having had his needs and wants met. (I know he was upset, because he glommed on to me like a suction cup whenever I put Sniffly down.) When Snuffles woke up an hour later, we did it all again, slept an hour or so, and did it again, and so on until about 5:30 am. The DH was asleep in the other room – I told him too; there’s no point in having two non-functioning staggeringly sleep deprived zombies in the house. Besides, if we’re both out of it, who’s going to make the toaster waffles?

At 5:30 ish the DH came in and took one of the boys, I really can’t remember which one, and went into the kitchen to play/make his coffee/feed him some Cheery-Oats (I like the old name better, more friendly) and get something to eat himself. I feel asleep at that point and woke up at 7:45 to the DH saying – “Honey, I have to leave for work in 15 minutes. Do you want a waffle?”

So in 15 minutes I washed my face, pulled back my rocker-chick hair (yes, I went to bed with wet hair) ate my waffle (they go down pretty quickly if you grease ‘em up well with a lot of butter and fold 'em in half. I can eat two waffles in about 45 seconds. Maybe my true calling is speed eating competitions…) had some vitamins and settled down with the two angels to have some morning nursing and playing. Snuffles was much better in the AM – why? I do not know! (Why can’t they be congested all day and clear at night? What bizarre fact of science makes them stuffy and miserable when the rest of the universe wants to sleep? Why ask why?) But he was better and we had kind of a nice day. Except I was just beat…but I’m cool with that. (RIGHT!! Hahaha – see all previous blog postings…)

However, the night of carrying on made me appreciate all those nights when they weren’t screaming. Oh, they have cried a lot in their day; nursing babies generally do cry when they get accidentally unplugged, etc. But never have they screamed at night like the poor, unwell baby did last night. The volume and pitch of the shrieks were plate shattering.

Darling boys, thank you so much for not screaming on a regular basis! I love you all the more for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger nita said...

if you visit i will need to douse you in Purell AND bleach, ok?

and speed eating competitions are gross. the winners usually employ some sort of dunking technique. ugh.
hope they boyz are feeling better...

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home