Sunday, January 09, 2005

Okay, so I’m not a blonde.

But it’s not from a lack of trying! What’s trying is your hairdresser refusing to color your hair as you request because she doesn’t think it’ll look good. She also said, “It will be too much maintenance for you with the babies and all. And I don’t think you should go blonde, it’ll pull a lot of red.” Then, in the desultory conversation we had as she painted on highlights, she commented in response to my remark, “I might grow it out a bit and have a China doll bob again,” “Oh, I don’t like a heavy bang with your face. It won’t look good. It’s just my opinion.”

Bully for you and your opinion. And what on earth does pull a lot of red mean exactly? And, if blonde shades are high maintenance, doesn’t that mean more frequent trips to the salon and more money in her pocket? Color costs $90 at this place, a cut is $40. I did tip $20 the last three times I saw her to seal myself as a “good” client in her mind, but no dice, apparently. AND if I want to go a certain color because I feel like it, who is this snippet of a hairdresser to talk me out of it?

As it was, she also said we would not enough time to lighten my hair, then apply the three or four shades I had in mind to get the streaky, chunky look I wanted. Not enough time? When I booked her for a cut and color a month ago, I booked an hour and a half at her request. So, suddenly there’s not enough time, fine. I suggested to do the color that day, and I would get a cut another day, but she did not seem to like that and said again that we would not have enough time. Hello? After arguing for ten minutes, and her being ten minutes behind schedule, time certainly was running short. Does it really take more than an hour and a half to color hair? On the box of Clairol Expert Color I picked up at Stop and Pop today, it advises 25 minutes for base color and 20 minutes for highlights. It should only take 2 minutes for a professional to wash my hair between application of color, right?

Contrary to recent evidence (see previous post discussing my ill chosen venting audience) I am not a fool. The hairdresser overbooked that day and did not want to admit it. I arrived at this conclusion based on the following facts. She was blow-drying someone when I arrived and did not get to me until 12:10; my appointment was scheduled for 12 to 1:30. Also, a customer arrived at 12:30 for a cut while my color was processing. I’m cool with that, but what’s up with the next party arriving at 1:00? Besides all this, there is another reason for her distress at my request for a multi-color, light over dark look. Based on the lame-o highlights I ended up with, she is just not a good colorist.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found myself getting annoyed as I read your post - what a pain in the ass! Opinions and bad time management - ugh. I remember once going to get my hair cut and the guy being like 45 minutes late. I just sat there and sat there - now, of course, I do have a lack-of-assertiveness problem, but eventually, EVEN I got mad and asked the receptionist what was taking so long. In retrospect, I should have just left, but I really wanted to get a haircut that day, so I waited. In the end the cut was good, but totally not worth it. The clear message was, I don't really give a rat's ass about you! So I never went back.

I also used to have a stylist who refused to cut my hair short. She was okay doing a chin-length bob, but no pixie cuts for me. What's funny is I've had my hair super-short for many years now and it looks great! DUH.......

Elise

9:06 AM  
Blogger Leann said...

Time to find a new hairdresser! I get my hair dyed red with blonde and darker red highlights and with a cut and eyebrow waxing it takes 90 min. I pay more than $90 for the dye job cuz my hair is long, but hair cuts only cost $20 so we're about even.

http://indigoblur.com/blog

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a quick comment from personal knowledge - going blonde IS different for different hair. sometimes a very mousy natural color has a lot of "red". That means it WILL take longer to get the color stripped out in order to dye it blonde. another person may be able to just dye it blonde.

also, regarding your hair dresser doing what ever you want, you can say it's your right but they are supposed to advise you about what's best (for your looks or your comfort). maintaining it is part of that.

you can still insist but it does take time.

peace
en

10:18 AM  
Blogger nita said...

hi there!
your hair is dark enough to require double processing which is difficult to master and the vast majority of hair people haven't done so. your hair would look fantastic platinum, your eyes would glow green :) call eva at, gag, hair chateau and she will be able to do it for you. being blond is only really an option while your hair is so short so go for it!

AND the china doll bob looked great once and would most certainly again. your funky hair seems to be keeping you sane, find a hair person who isn't rude/offensive/undertrained/overbooked.

:) and how the hell are you? i'm in mass, computer crashed, hit me with an e so i have your address, wouldya?!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home