Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Okay, so the fish for dinner is more important than my children…

Well, what else can I think? Yes, another post about my poor mother. Golly Whiskers, I hope I am not like her when I grow up and become a Grandma! And this story has eight witnesses, six of which are under the age of three, but never mind. Here goes.

I had a few people over, kind of like an impromptu playgroup, one afternoon. We enjoyed a few refreshments together and the six children had ice cream. The resulting mess on my kitchen floor was quite spectacular and I knew I would have to mop. Just as the ladies and gents were about to leave, the front door opened and my mother walked in.

“Hi, darling! I have that park bench that needs assembling and I brought one for you to have as well. Would you help me drag it out of the car?”

Of course I helped her with the bench and came back into the house as everyone was about to leave. The mommies had done a great job in helping me tidy and load the dishwasher, but the floor was my own thing to deal with; we all knew it. I mean, ya just can’t mop a floor with children around. Any attempt would have just spread the ice cream infested mud more evenly over the entire kitchen and then nothing would have been clean.

So, I asked my mother, “Would you be so kind as to keep an eye on the boys in the tub for ten minutes? That way I can mop the floor without them and it can dry while I bathe them. Just getting tubby time started would help me out big time.”

She says, “I would if I could, but I must get back to the office and I need to stop at the fish shop before it closes. Bye!”

Off she went, leaving me to figure it out. What I actually did was put one baby in the tub with the water on a slow trickle to amuse him and the drain open. I also put a towel on the floor because I knew he would dump a lot of water over the side unless there was someone around to stop him. The other baby wanted to be held, so I quickly mopped the floor with the baby on my hip and checked on the destruction in the bathroom a few times during the process. I knew the baby in the bath would be okay on his own because I took the stopper out of the drain completely so the water couldn’t accumulate even a tiny bit. Mopping whilst holding a wriggling toddler...talk about making a chore a chore…

And my friends got to see how in my family, the fish comes first.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

get over it, your family and the planet. focus on the positive. you nag about priviledge, get a therapist, pay to complain and move on! your constant victim poor me vibe cannot be good for 2 little boys needing a female role model. you have an opportunity to improve the men on the planet, go to it girl!

6:29 AM  
Blogger Leann said...

Don't you hate how some people don't have the guts to put their name next to a negative post? To Anonymous - Get over it, focus on the positive, this is her blog not yours, and if she chooses to use this place to vent be happy she's venting not exploding. Anonymous, your ip address has been recorded by blogger, it's not like you're really anonymous, so do us all a favor and either show your face or shut up.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I may have you beat...just this month my mom let my 7 yo shoplift a hat because "it's the cashiers job to notice if you are wearing the merchendise and their responsibility to make sure it's paid for. Plus it's raining and I don't want to go back through the parking lot". (we went back the next day and paid for it). That's what i get for asking for help while my dh has back surgery! :) love your blog!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Anonymous is partially right, actually, about the victim vibe, which is why I blog and I don't fight with the mother in front of them. I try to let her roll off my back when they are around, and not show how much she hurts and upsets and angers me. BUT lately she has really been affecting me for the worse, so I am going to have to avoid her for a while, or they *will* get to see me scream at her!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

wow, so, that was pretty rude. I think that a blog is a PERFECT place to vent, then you can go and be relaxed in front of the family, right? We ALL have these feelings, and thankfully you knew where to release them, safely into the blogosphere. Sorry you had to get a comment like that.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home