Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Sympathy and Compassion

In the comments attached to the last post, Preacher Mom asked me if taking allergy medications by mistake and suffering the fuzzy headed, drowsy, what’s-going-on effects of the drugs made me more sympathetic to the DH's plight as an allergy-ridden person.

The question was: am I now a more sympathetic person?

Let me think about that….hmmm. I like to think that in situations where I recognize the suffering, I am as sympathetic as one can be. Suffering I have experienced, like new motherhood, new motherhood of twins, new motherhood of twins and breastfeeding them through a six week nipple infection, will bring out the giving spirit in me. So, now am I more sympathetic to those suffering allergies? Well, yes. The mental stagnation I felt those days on Zyrtek-D is not to be willingly repeated. But am I more sympathetic in general to suffering that I have not experienced? Well, no. Does that mean I am a selfish and bitchy person? At times, yes, but that’s what y’all like about me, right? Hah!


I will freely admit that whilst in the midst of suffering and being thick headed and sleepy and runny-nosey, I was not really aware that I was suffering from reverse allergies. Therefore, I was not really paying attention to how it felt to have allergies, not being swift enough to analyze the situation. It is just too ironic that the reason I was not able to think about how I felt as someone who suffers allergies is because the medication made me too wooly brained to think that deeply into the situation. How crazy.

Therefore, I must admit to you, my gentle readers, that now I am “allergy free” I am, in some ways, back to my previous state of mild impatience with those who sniff instead of reaching for a tissue. Part of it goes back to my childhood with a parent who sniff, sniff, sniffed all freakin' day long, and another part is just an aversion to boogers. However, you poor dears who get the headaches, the drowsiness, and the what-day/time/week-is-it stupidity that can, unfortunately, go with the allergy pill…you have my deepest sympathy.

I’m still not going to let you drive my car; that bottle does suggest avoiding heavy machinery. I’m sympathetic, not dumb.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Thankfully I don't get the major allergic attacks I once did as I child. Now, I'm doing the my best to keep my kids from having to rely on a medicine to keep them nasal clear and their heads clogged.

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick comment before taking a wee nap while the little ones are sleeping. (Could the fatigue be from the Zyrtek-D I took this morning? I may never know. As the mother of two young children, fatigue is part of my everyday experience regardless of allergy medication. And, before I had the children, I had a cat that, for fourteen years, woke me up EVERY night! I've been in a fog for a long time. Now, be careful with those sarcastic comments that you're considering in response!) I am happy to report that I don't sniff-sniff the whole day through; no, I snort-snort when only my family members are around -- oh, and good friends, too. (So, if I snort around you, take it as a sign of my deep affection for you). I am not one of those drippy nose allergy people; instead, I am a clogged sinuses kind of allergy person. Sniffing doesn't work, only snorting. So, don't fear, my dear friend mother-of-twins, I will not sniff around you. I will, however, snort, but I trust that you will take it in stride with the good humor and affection you show for the foibles and follies of those nearest and dearest to you. And, should you ever have need of allergy medication, I will be there with a shoulder to lean on and a listening ear -- unless, of course, I'm napping!

1:14 PM  
Blogger G-man said...

get a breast pump and make daddy do the feeding

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home