Wednesday, June 08, 2005

A lesson "they" have yet to learn...

I was at the playground the other day with my posse of three mothers and our five children, of assorted sizes and flavors. One of my twin-lets, Baby B, decided he wanted a Popsicle, and ever one to please, I let him have a luridly colored rocket pop. He wanted to hold it by himself, and, like many other twenty-month-old toddlers, he made a right royal mess of himself. I wasn’t particularly bothered by the red, blue and green slobber ornamenting the front of his white tee shirt. I have finally learned to let it go. Some other mothers in that park that day still need to learn that lesson.

Baby B is an independent, social creature, so he went over to another child, to chat and make friends. This other child was about six or seven months old and seemed happy to meet him; but the child’s mother was absolutely not.

I could see trouble was brewing; mother and baby were sitting prettily on a pale blue blanket; the baby was dressed in a madras romper (immaculate) and the mother was in beige shorts and a white shirt (spotless). Here comes my Baby B, full of bounce and go and coated with Popsicle drippings and sand. I let him "visit", as they say down South, for a few minutes, and then went over.

Me: Hi! I guess I had better get my little one! Your baby is sweet; is he your first?
Mother: (with a look of eww-what-a-gross-dirty-toddler on her face): Yes, he is and yes, I think you had better take yours away.

Me: (inside my head): Ok, Be-atch. I know my toddler is a bit sticky, and your baby is neat and tidy, but as soon as that baby of yours starts to walk/eat/be a more of a person and less of an inanimate life form, you will know why I am out in public with a dirty, messy baby, yo!

Me: (in reality): Hee hee, come on Baby B! Say bye!


It’s funny how I could have said x, y and z! I had such an opportunity of making a point. I could have taught her a valuable lesson; namely, don’t give other mothers that holier than thou look when you are not in the same place! I know! Because the universe will bite you in the butt, as sure as toddlers toddle. The more you feel and act above it all, the more of a come-uppance you will get, my dear! That’s just the way it goes.

I had a chance that I might have taken six months ago and totally would have taken a year ago. But I have softened with age, and showed such restraint! Being 36 is really wonderful – maturity comes so naturally now! But don’t fret, my friends; I’ll still post the what-I-really-meant-to-say inter-loquations on my blog. You know, in private for the whole wide web to see. Yo!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

weeeeeel, maybe the little new born cherub had been in the NICU, or maybe she/he/it was just over a lung infection, or maybe... oh, ferget the charity! We know all new mothers are like that.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

Having experienced something similar myself with Little M, I can relate to your story. Anyone who knows my daughter has seen various foods, dirt, etc, streaked across her face. I won't even talk about her nose.

I tend to take the attitude that they are this small for such a short amount of time. Soon they will have to succumb to all the manners, etiquette, and decorum that the adult world imposes. Heck, if I had my way, there would be no bathing suits for kids until they are five – Run naked and free! (This was how my little M spent her day today) So, I tend to feel bad for those that just can't small children be just that, small children and not spotless dolls.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Mom is going to have a HUGE reality check once that baby gets mobile. Oh yah! I can just imagine the chaos that'll ensue. HA!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what theyellowwallpaper wrote! I have a friend from South Africa that has told me I would do well in South Africa because I let my 3-year-old son be naked when he is swimming or playing with water, and shoeless when he is in a playground, yard, or store. (In South Africa children run around naked and shoeless most of the time until they are four or five. The obsession in America with never showing the naked body of a small child boggles her mind.) Soon enough, the rough edges will be sanded off by society and they will bite their tongues (even Mother of Twins is doing that now!), wipe their mouths, worry about what they will wear, and wonder if people like them. Let them be children while they are children: unself-conscious and free from the torture most adults inflict on themselves -- and, unfortunately, others and their children, too!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I think with twins you automatically have to be more laid back. If I freaked out each time someone drank out of the other ones bottle, or stuck the other one's pacifier in their mouth I would have had a heart attack before they learned to walk.

Besides, if you don't want anything on your kid, the kid should not be in a public place.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home