Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Allergies suck

I am really not allergic to anything. I could pick a bouquet of poison ivy and drink swamp water and be no worse for wear. I have had some reactions, to irritants such as saccharine and once I had a reaction to gin, but aren't those poisons anyway?

My DH is allergic to pollen and certain flowering plants. My mother is allergic to ragweed and other plants as well. My DH, God bless him, takes medication in the spring and does his best to limit the irritating sniff sniff sniffing. His skin is fine, a little adult acne here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. My mother, grrrr, sniffs constantly. I know it’s rough for her being the allergy sufferer, but God, is it hard on the people living in the same house. Sniffing is like whistling out of tune or humming under the breath, or nose picking; it’s a fine habit as long there is no one around to think – STOP IT!! My sister’s baby is allergic to peanuts and has eczema as well.

With that history in the family, I am not surprised that I have a baby with allergies. Little Baby B has eczema and an known egg allergy, so he and I had an allergy workup today. You know, the visit when they stab your baby in the back with 20 different needles laced with the essence of potential allergens, and let it sit for half an hour to see what happens? Whew, it wasn't fun. I could see the wound marked EGG swell up almost immediately. The PEANUT site also got a little puffy. And, horror of horrors – the site for CAT got red too.

Now food allergies I can handle. If anyone reading this also knows me as a person, they will certainly be thinking – God, she is always reading labels and saying, “But this is hydrogenated! And there is cottonseed oil in this, as well as eggs! Throw these crackers in the trash!” I am all about eating the most natural food available, whenever possible, but I am not unreasonable about it. Why, just today, the boys and I shared a bag of plain M&Ms, and I have been known to chow down an Oreo or two. I totally prefer the Newman’s Os; all natural and so scrumptious and hydrogenated fat free, yippee! But, allergic to cats!?

I am pretty upset about this. How can I keep Baby B away from my cats? There is no organic alternative, no egg free version and no peanut-less cat available. If it were possible I’d be sure to use a squirrel substitute, or a mouse stock base in my cooking to replace the cat. I’d even get a partially hydrogenated animal, if I were forced to. But, unlike the Newman’s Own brand of snack food, or the Annie’s Bunnies we all know and love, there is nothing to replace my sweet felines.

I am not going to do anything drastic. I know a lady, who is not an animal lover, who, when told a story about a dog or a cat problem, invariably offers the same solution, “Get rid of it.” She is quite right, of course; humans should take precidence over cats. But, since I love my cats, I think I'd better not tell her about my baby’s allergy to them; I don’t want to have to try and explain my affection for my beasties. It defies explanation.

I found one of the cats when he was ten days old, or thereabouts. He was half dead, covered with dirt and bugs and had a serious infection in his nose and eyes. His mother had abandoned his sister as well. I took them both to the vet, and although the sister kitten died about four days later, the boy cat survived. I named him Shed, because I found him near the woodshed, and he is now 18 pounds of white silky fur and has one golden eye. The other was lost during his battle with the upper respiratory infection. I bottle fed him for a month and smuggled him into my office so I could feed him every three to four hours as needed. Therefore, having snatched him from the jaws of death, I am not about to get rid of him like he was so much trash.

My other cat, Worf, came with the name. Apparently, Worf is a Klingon on Star Trek and the nicest of a warrior-like race. My cat Worf is black, slinky and utterly beautiful. He has green eyes, a Siamese like meow and little graceful paws. He came to us when he was 6 weeks old, from the vet/orphanage. At the time Shed was 12 weeks old, and now they are inseparable. I would have no troubling finding a home for Worf, he’s very affectionate, but also self-reliant. He kills flies and bees and eats them; he eats mice and moles and has caught a few squirrels too. He single-pawedly keeps the street free from vermin. One of my neighbors commented on how her lawn is so lush and mole free now that Worf patrols the neighborhood. But I would not split them up; after three years of companionship they'd miss each other too much. Shed and Worf just go together; like apricot jam on a turkey sandwich, or a dash of bitters in a glass of champagne.

I am going to try this: My DH said he’d brush the cats every night to keep the loose fur to a minimum and I will vacuum every single day. Together we will do what we can to keep our already clean house even cleaner and see if we can push through to Baby B’s magical age 5. Age 5 is when a lot of allergies spontaneously subside, as long as the person is kept free from irritants. I will also try and keep the baby away from the cats as much as I can, but that will be very difficult.

My poor baby! He loves chasing the cats, tackling them and wrestling them to the ground. Then he will lie sprawled across them, yelling triumphantly at the ceiling. Poor cats, I am sure they love being taken down by a toddler too.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dani said...

Hey MOT,
I too had allergies to animals as a child including, dogs, cats, birds, you name it. As an animal lover it was devastating. For a stretch of time I even had to have shots every week when the pollen was particularly high. BUT, here's the thing, I would get a reaction only to other animals that were not my own. We had cats in our house as a child and I could pet and snuggle with 'em just like my own allergy free brother. But, if I even thought of petting the neighbor's cat or dog, hives would sprout up. If I didn’t wash my hands right after handling another animal, I would pay the price.

Even as an adult, I still had reactions when we first picked up "the boys" from the pound. After about a month my body adapted. So, don’t despair. My hunch is that Baby B’s system will continue to adapt to having your wonderful cats around and it will only be other animals that may cause a reaction.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend an air purifier like the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze to cut down on air-borne allergens. Your DH might benefit too.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my worst nightmares. Before I had kids, I honestly thought about remaining childfree because WHAT IF THEY WERE ALLERGIC TO ONE OF MY PRECIOUS ANIMALS?! Now, of course, I would be willing to take the brushing/cleaning/vacuuming route that you guys are going to do, rather than give the kids back. But that really sucks.

I reguarly check out a lab rescue site because one of these days we're going to get a second dog. (Hey, 2 kids, 2 cats, and 1 dog seems kinda asymmetrical, doesn't it?) I see a lot of "My family had to give me up when one of the kids developed allergies" and it just breaks my heart.

FWIW, I do know people who are allergic to animals and continue to have pets and take their meds. I hope, however, that your son will magically grow out of his allergies.

Linda
http://indigogirl.typepad.com

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a catowner who is also allergic, here are my best tips:
The Ionic Breeze really does work well.
If you have carpet, get rid of it. Have only wood or tiled floors.
Your furniture, try to make it leather or faux leather, vinyl, stuff that does not attract pet dander. It's not the cat per se, it's the dander he's allergic to.
Find a groomer for the cats- having them get an anti-shed bath once a month is a huge help!!!
Teach him to wash his hands after cat wrestling, which I realize is easier said than done at this age. They also make a allergen reducing coat cleaner available at PetsMart, you wipe it on the cats. It helped me a lot.
If the cats don't go outside, that helps, too.
Hope that helps you!!! Don't worry, it's workable. Just don't let him rub his eyes after petting the cat. Keep the Benadryl onhand.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Leann said...

I'm allergic to cats as well, but never knew it until I went to the allergist this year, and the thing is I've had cats all my life. My allergist told me that people who are allergic to a specific type of animal, and have been exposed to it since childhood, are still allergic but don't have a reaction because their immune systems have gotten used to the allergin. My allergist also gave me all the suggestions the other commenters did.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Thank you for all your ideas! The hand washing is a good tip - he loves playing in the sink, so washing up is not too difficult to do.

I will look into getting an air purifier as well.

I asked the allergist about the "I'm not allergic to MY cat, but I am to other cats" syndrome, and he told me it was a myth. Hmmm, I guess the five people I know who can pet one cat above all others are big believers in myths!

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Baby A must be suffering from the little known, GHOST CAT CURSE. It only occurs when the grave marker from a little cat grave is used to chase your twin brother all over the yard. The allergy is known to only affect one of the twins, not both. I can recommend an exorcist who specializes in such cases, if you need one.
...I just couldn't resist...

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Hmm, maybe Joe's Mom is right! When the DH and I moved in we exhumed our kitten (Shed's sister) and brought her little coffin/shoebox with us. Is wasn't gross or anything; there were just bones at that point. Be re-buried her under a tree and the DH made a cross out of two sticks and a shoelace. In keeping eith the footwear theme, I guess. Anyway, a few weeks ago, the babies took apart the cross and chased each other around waving the sticks. Now the grave is marked with rocks....he cat grave explained

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you could shave the cats and make them into those Mexican Hairless varieties.

- "Get rid of them"'s hubby

4:40 PM  
Blogger Helly said...

Others have beaten me to it, and your allergist's comment notwithstanding, you DO build up a tolerance to your own animals. My mom, frequent haunter of the emergency room and reluctant master of the Epipen, would never have believed it if you'd told her I'd own an inside cat AND live to tell the tale. But I figured, I have to take pills every day anyhow, so what's the difference? 10 years on, I can occasionally skip a pill and cuddle/play with The Finn to no ill effect, provided other factors (like dust or pollen) aren't aggravating me.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Helly said...

Er - I didn't mean that comment to sound like it took a decade for me to be able to breathe around my pet. It didn't. I meant to say I did build up a tolerance and we've very happily cohabitated for a long time.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allergies are a bit of a mystery. I discovered I had them as a adult, but I think I had them as a kid because I had bronchitis every year. I had pets as a kid (cats, dogs, rabbits, mice, gerbils, guinea pigs) and as an adult (the cats have passed on, but the dogs are still with us). What I noticed is when the "allergy load" got too high, I would have worse symptems; which is to say, if you can reduce the number of allergens to which Baby B is exposed, the cats probably won't be a problem, particularly if you do the things you've listed. (By the way, I think I may have some of the stuff you wipe cats with to reduce the allergen. If I do, you can have it.) I also found that when the dogs were banned from the upstairs (i.e., the bedrooms) my allergy to them disappeared! That's right: when I was tested two times ago, I tested allergic to dogs; when I was tested the last time, I didn't test allergic to dogs. My guess is that my "allergy load" had reduced, due to the dogs being banned from the upstairs; plus, I had started to get allergy shots. In any case, I completely understand about not getting rid of your pets -- they are family members. And, I have to agree: ALLERGIES SUCK!

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home