Friday, May 11, 2007

The Pingvin lives on!

Do y'all remember the long drawn out and agonizing tale of my boy's Pingvin from Ikea? If you were spared all that, but would like to wallow in the tale of an obsessive mother and her international quest for a stuffed toy, please see January 2006.

At any rate, I got a comment on one of those posts from an English Mama whose son loves his Pingvin. This boy, like many other two year olds, will not go anywhere without his favorite toy. He sleeps with the Pingvin, eats with the Pingvin and feels comforted by its presence. Enough build up? OK, English Mama wrote to me asking if I could spare a Pingvin because her son lost the baby of the set, and is rather upset. She is very afraid of what may happen if he loses the mama as well. She asked if I could possibly sell her one of my collection of 9 beasties, because I have so many and Ikea has none, anywhere in the world.

I thought about it for half a minute and popped two in the mail. I remember how long it took, how many calls and what a bother it was to get more Pingvin for Baby A, and that was in January 2006. These toys haven't been made since that time, so how could she possibly find one 16 months later? I am glad to know that I can be helpful, like the Scottish sales clerk was so helpful to me. The two Pingvin I sent are the two I bought on eBay. So they have now travelled from the Ikea factory to the shop in Canada, to my home in Connecticut and now to England. To Hertfordshire, actually, which is where Elizabeth Bennet and Co. lived. I wonder if those two will now be named Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy?

For flightless waterfowl, they sure get around.

I am also very glad to know I am not the only obsessed mother out there who takes quasi-ridiculous precautions to spare her child disappointment and upset. I'll bet the English Mama says, "just in case" to herself as she tucks that second spare pair of socks in her handbag. Just like me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I hate to do this but things have now got pretty desparate...

I first discovered your blog about a year ago, whilst doing a search for "Klippar Pingvin" and read with great interest about your search for duplicates of the irreplacable toy.

At the time our son was about 18 months and was becoming incurably attached to his "Plengwen".

I have spent the past year searching in vain on eBay for a replacement, whilst hoping that our son's love for the flightless bird would wane.

Alas, he is now more attached than ever - it is even a battle each night to get him to allow penguin to watch him have his bath rather than join him! Penguin is not in a good way and looks like he's on his last legs/wings.

So, basically I was wondering if you still had any spare Pingvins which are surplus to your requirements. I would gladly pay you good money and cover postage to England.

If you read this message and can help please could you email me at ...(remove *'s and replace at with @)
l*u*k*e*at*m*a*y*d*e*n*.*c*o*.*u*k

many thanks

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home