Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The dog days are here...

and my boys will be barking up a storm at the Montessori Summer program.

Yes indeedy, my parents suggested I enroll the twins in the five week Montessori Enrichment Program, which is specially designed to help the toddler transition from one classroom to another. With a name like “Enrichment” I had an idea the program was designed to improve their white blood cell count and fatten them up a bit at the same time, but no...

There was a little saga about their enrollment, because, as y’all know, nothing in my life can ever be simple and streamlined. In April, when the signs advertising the Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) went up all over the school, I looked at the price, winced, and didn’t look again. The deadline for enrollment was May 12, and the tuition was due, in full, on May 26. My parents came over on Saturday, the 27th, and my father asked about our summer plans.

Daddy: Hey, what are the twins going to be doing this summer?

MOT: Driving me crazy full time, me thinks.

Daddy: Why not enroll them in a summer program somewhere?

MOT: Well, there is one at their school, but it seemed kind of pricey.

Daddy: Oh, we can take care of that for you...OUCH! (My mother kicked him under the table)

MOT: Well, guys, I’ll look into it, and if there’s room, I’ll enroll them.

Mummy and Daddy together: Oh yes, we can help you with the tuition, no problem.

MOT: You do realize we’ll have to pay up front, because I missed the deadline?

M and D: Oh, yes, we can blah, blah, demur, demur.

Therefore, when I dropped off the fellas today I asked the administrator if there room in the SEP. She said there was, and I filled out the application on the spot. She told me I needed to get a check to the school Ay-Sap, andI said I would.

While I was at Stop and Shop after school, I called my mother:

MOT: Hi Mummy, I was able to get the boys into the Summer program, so now we need to cough up the tuition. Here’s how much we need...

Mummy: I don’t know how you expect me to pay all that, I am re-doing the kitchen, you know.

MOT: (keeping her cool AND her head) Mummy, I didn’t tell you guys about the program because, as I said before, I thought it was too much money. The DH and I can’t afford the full tuition on our own, as I said before. This was Daddy's idea. I was ready for them to be home- really. It’s fine; they don’t have to go. Will I see you this weekend?

Mummy: Now wait! I didn’t say I COULDN’T help you a bit, I think I might be able to stretch it to $1,000. Will that help?

MOT: That’s great, and yes, it will help. Would you mail the check to the school?

Mummy: (deep sigh) Yes, I will.

I think my sessions with Dr. Tell me About It helped me in that situation. I was all grouchy and shaky for a few hours afterwards – why does she make me jump through hoops all the time? Why can’t she fulfill her promises without trying to torture me? And if I refuse to be tortured, why do I feel guilty? Do I fell like I have deprived her of some fun? Or does she need to make me know how difficult it is for her? Or does she just want to me really, really appreciate her? Or does she simply like to belittle me and get me to beg?

I’m glad the boys will be in a program; I don’t know if I’d be able to have them 24/7 for 3 long hot months without a break. I don’t handle humidity very well. I only wish I didn’t have to feel as if I had done something wrong. The SEP was my parents’ idea; my father offered to pay, without any hint from me, but still the resistance. As infinitesimal as it was, it still takes a lot out of me.

I regret to report I cried a teensy bit, and was sensitive all afternoon. The boys are napping now, and I hope a snack and a nap work will work wonders for Mommy just like they do for babies.

I think I'll have some graham crackers and apple juice...YUM! Better already!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got the twins into the summer program, despite the stress of dealing with your mother! The important thing is they are enrolled! Thank your parents profusely and don't let the rest get you down.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're going through. It's that business of a broken promise. My parents do that to me too. Chin up though! The kids will be with their friends so that'll free up time for you to have some quiet time.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you standing up to your motheer- definitely be proud of yourself (and enjoy the time they are enrolled!)

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home