Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Woof

Well, as I wrote before, the Dog Days have arrived, and I am "relaxing" and "enjoying" my "free time". I put quotes around all that because, as y'all know, so much is subjective.

Thanks to the five four-hour twin free mornings at my house, I have been able to attend to a bunch of projects - finally painting the trim in the playroom, finishing the sewing and getting those last spring plants in the ground. I have also been able to go to the gym, tidy the house AND go shopping all in the same morning, which is a treat. This sounds ridiculously obvious, but having four hours instead of three is SOOO much more time. Often, I almost feel relaxed.

Almost.

Yesterday, it was business as usual. We all woke up around 6:30, the DH and I had our breakfast, got dressed, got the guys breakfasted, dressed, and coated in sunblock, got the bags, the lunches and my list of errands in the car, and off we went. I took the fellas to school, sat in the car for twenty minutes and made some phone calls, went to the tailor to drop off some pants, took a 60 minute spin class, met with my trainer for an hour (we boxed - LOVE IT!), took a shower, coated myself with sunblock, sat in the car for twenty minutes and ate my lunch, whilst reading a book, and got the guys from school at 12:30.

Then we met some freinds at Ikea for lunch and the children ran around the store like mad. I did a little shopping myself, and around 3:30 we got in the car to go home. The guys were tired from all the running around, and I was looking forward to a few minutes of down time.

Whoops! I suddenly remembered I had a dentist appontment at 4:00! I called the DH, who met me at the dentist's office. By this time the boys were sleeping, so I thought it was nice for the DH; he'd have some time to get things done when he got home. I asked him if he was okay - he looked all pissy. He kind of grr'ed at me, "The traffic was terrible!", and took off.

I had my apppointment - no cavities - Yay! - and called home at 5:15 to let the DH know I was stopping at the crunchy granola shop to get my Stress Buster Yogi Tea. I asked what he was doing, and he said, "Laundry." I thought, how nice, did my shop, read my book for half an hour in the car, and got home by 7:00.

At home, all the boys were outside running around. The kitchen was a bit of a wreck, and the laundry was in the washer. But nothing else... I asked about the naps, and he said the boys woke up at 6:30.

Me: What were you doing for two hours?
DH: I got the laundry going.
Me: Did they eat?
DH: There is a pizza in the oven.

I can't help but think - what about the lunches for tomorrow? What about the door that needs a coat of sealant? What about the curtains that need to be hung? What about a martini for your hard-working wife?

So, today I dropped the fellas at school, came home, cleaned the bathroom, made some phone calls, organized a cake for a friend's party this afternoon, sewed up yet another pair of little pj's, folded the laundry in the dryer, hung up the wet laundry, fed the cats, cleaned up breakfast, vacummed the bedrooms and took a minute to post this.

I am a tiny bit annoyed that the DH leaves me to do all the house things, but I am a bigger part understanding. I know I do it better, faster and cleaner than he does. Besides, right now, the DH works in an office and I work at home. So, it is my job to clean, cook and sew. How nineteenth century! But in spite of therapy, reasonability and logicial thinking, I feel mixed. Should I be annoyed?

Anyway, let me post this. I need to get a coat of sealant on the door and start on the fruit salad for later. I hope I don't have any trouble getting that door off the hinges. I really hope I don't drop it either - it's kind-a heavy. And I really, really hope I don't - God forbid - break a nail. After all, part of my job description is looking good, and that is the hardest part.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, slight narcissistic personality disorder with obsessive-compulsive personality disorder traits. give your dh a break. Do you think he might need a break also?? He has a bad day and you get bent? Working full time, one income, twins, having the children at night while your getting your stress tea, dealing with a spouse's issues...and you complain you have 4 hours alone? Find another therapist and investigate the use of healthy coping and people first skills. Or better yet go, get a job.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Hmm, did Gerald have a bad day too?

Gerald - I said I got a TINY bit annoyed, and I did not say a thing to the DH, because I *knew* he had a bad time with the traffic. I did write that when I got home ALL the boys (twins and DH too) were running around outside PLAYING and having FUN. So - I got the dinner, the lunches, the clothes and bags organized for the next day whilst the DH was playing with the boys until bedtime at 8:30.

He did not have the boys all night - he had them for half an hour until I got home.

Yes, I have OCD, which is why we have an neat, clean and organized home.

No, I can't get a job, (nor do I need to) because there isn't a three-hour-a-day-job out there that will pay enough to make it worthwhile. A full time nanny for twins in my neck o' the woods costs about $1,600 a month. Also, I want to raise my own children.

Gerald, I did not "get bent" - I did not say a thing.

AND I made *him* a martini...

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok lets see here..math skills- drop off at dentist office at 4pm, return home at 7pm after "reading a book in your car", This is 3 hours, where does "He did not have the boys all night - he had them for half an hour until I got home", come from?
Personal skills- knowing your DH has had a bad day, with traffic more than likely being only 10% of his problem. Maybe if you where able to remember your responsibilities, and plan a day out correctly, you wouldn't be putting sudden demands on your DH. Putting sudden demands on people that is caused by someone else being forgetful gets to be annoying. I would bet that thats probably 70% of his bad day. The other 20%, well maybe the fact you read a book in the car for close to an hour a day, with the car running more than likely, and gas prices over $3/gallon. Is that the other 20%? Or is it that he knows that your job as a stay home mother is tending the house and children which for half the day you don't seem to do. Oh no though when he gets home he has a chore list because someone has been spinning, boxing, shopping and forgetting their own appointments all day.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Gerald, dude - they were asleep for two and a half hours of the three he was alone with them. That's where the half hour comes from.

And I know I take care of the children, the house, the meals, the shopping, the laundry (with him, the garden, the organizing, the school responsibilities, etc, quite well.

Read some past posts and you will realize I would NEVER leave the car running while I did anything. I even turn it off while I am at the drive-in teller, which I only use because it's very difficult to get twin toddlers out of the car, into the stroller, into the bank, keep them happy whilst tending to the banking, then get them out of the bank, out of stroller and into the car again in under half an hour. But you seem like the kind of stay home father of twins who would already know that.

You do stay home with your two and a half year old twins, right?

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home