Thursday, August 04, 2005

Baby B is amazing...

Everyone has the right to feel that his or her own baby is the most amazing baby that ever lived. Quite often, the baby who is being lauded is just yer average baby, no more amazing than any other, and the slobberingly bestowed laurels on its tiny head are not exactly deserved. That being said, I am about to launch into a slobberingly laudatory post about my own little one, so get yer airsick bags handy.

As a new mother, I think my babies are more beautiful and intelligent than any one else’s babies could ever be. I do my absolute best not to fawn all over them ad nauseum; I find those, "My baby is this and my baby is that" conversations a little dull. I am also a little on the hypercritical side and will point out my boys’ flaws just as quickly as I’d call attention to their achievements. It’s all part of my not wanting to irritate my fellow moms. However, little Baby B has shown himself to be quite amazing, and I must let the whole planet know about it.

Baby B likes to swim. That is he likes to swim on his own, without a hand under him, or even a parent too close by. Three weeks ago I got my boys those little suits with the flotation devices sewn in. IThey look like neon versions of Edwardian swim costumes, with life vests built in. Baby A likes to splash about, but also needs/wants to be held in your arms. Baby B will kick away from you and dog paddle around on his own. It only took three trips to the pool for him to want to get away from whomever was holding him, and now, a mere six trips to the pool total, he can jump off the deck, go under and come up paddling.

Naturally, I do not turn my back to him, nor do I let him leap unattended, but golly! What baby swims at 22 months! He has an excellent sense of balance as well. I have one of those green plastic rocking larvae from IKEA, and he will stand on it, arms out to his sides, for, like, a whole minute before he hops down. He will also stand on the see-saw at the playground until he is knocked off by another child waiting to play in a more conventioanl way.

Yep, my baby can swim already. He also can balance on a dime held sideways, do a chin-up and leap tall buildings in a single bound. He’s obviously bound for greatness; 2016 Olympics, look out. Baby B is ready now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is Baby B athletically gifted, he's a charmer, too. (Of course, Baby A is amazing and charming, too, in a completely different way. I love the way he pays attention to detail, and coyly looks up at you from under his eyelashes.) My children were not born to me (i.e., they are adopted and thus not my genetic progeny) and yet I think they are the most amazing and wonderful children. This feeling I have about my adopted children makes me think that it must come from nurturing rather than giving birth to one's children, which is a wonderful thought. Ideas such as "every person on the planet is a brother or sister to us," or "every child is our child," or "we're all connected" must be true. I've found that as I spend time with friend's children and help care for them, I begin to love them almost as much as I love my own. I even miss them when I don't see them! If only we could feel this way toward everyone: no one would be our enemy; everyone would be part of the family.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be bursting with pride, too! My 8-month-old loves to paddle around in his baby float (concentric rings with seat and back support)--but I heard from yet another proud mom (My son taught himself to swim!) that the "neon Edwardian" swimsuit is the bomb! I'll have to try it.
Also proud in Nashville

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go girl . . . try being a divorced, working mom, 47 going on 48 yr old mother of twin boys, 4 1/2 going on 16 . . . my kids are fabulous but i'm so tired . . . both are spoiled (1 candy eater deluxe model and 1 "yucky" skin borderline austistic) count your lucky stars!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sons 3 1/2 and swims on his own. He dives to the bottom of the pool and bobs up for air and continuos to swim. It causes a lot of attention sometime not good. Parents are first amazed then I feel resentment from them. Having a gifted child is hard. It has its downsides. My son is very, very, very active

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home