Saturday, October 22, 2005

MOT - One, Coca-Cola - Ten Billion. But one for me is good...

Time is on my side. Literally.

Now you know being the insecure/conceited/self-depreciating/self-promoting thing I am, I would not be referring to my smooth skin, or clear eyes, or pearly smile. Or immature attitude, for that matter. No, alas, wrinkle free-ness is still a big part of my thought process. When I find the secret, I’ll let y’all know. I am referring to an article I read in a November TIME Magazine all about Coca-Cola. I was dee-lighted to see that in Coke’s Quest for Cool (the title of the piece) Phil Lempert, author of the Lempert Report on the Food Industry, argues that Coke needs to totally re-think the way they make and market what we all know is an unhealthy product. (Sorry, Preacher Mom!)

A quote:

Lempert and others argue that it’s time for Coke to tamper with its famous ingredient mix. Most Coke is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, yet kids in Latin America are drinking sugar-based, fruit sweetened beverages, he says. Lempert says the cola market will continue to dry up without a radical recipe shift. “The savior of cola, and I don’t know who is going to do it first, Coke or Pepsi, is the re-introduction of the core product, substituting sugar for the high-fructose corn syrup.”

Yeah, baby! Music to my ears! If the almighty Coca-Cola has industry analysts advising it to ditch the toxic HFCS in favor of good old nice n’ sweet sugar cane (which only has 16 calories per spoonful, BTW) I just might start sippin’ the Coco-Juice again. Next, Mickey Dees will start making baked sweet potato fries, and who knows? In a few years, the twins and I may take a trip to the Golden Arches for fries and a Coke.

But only if the Happy Meal includes a non-Disney related surprise toy made out of sustainable wood and hand painted with biodegradable paint by Benedictine monks. Then I'll be happy. Hey, who just said, "Fussy-Britches"?!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha on the wood toy! You have totally converted me with the HFCS but I haven't like the taste of soda for awhile now thanks to it. The coke in the caribbean is also made with sugar and just tastes so much better. Diet coke is made with stevia in Japan and I would really love to try some of that (don't even drink diet soda but I'd give it a shot with stevia).

10:41 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

STEVIA? What's that? A sweetener I have not heard of? Oh Boy!

Let me at it...

I totally agree on "foreign" colas. I will drink Coke and or Pepsi when I'm on vacation. When I was in Turkey, in the 1990's, Pespi tasted great! But, alas, me going on vacation is rare these days. Now we just go on a two hour drive to a condo in New York state and call it a get away.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God I drink Diet Coke and don't take in all that HFCS . . . just a lot of unnatural sweetener! Stevia would be great . . . then I wouldn't have to feel so guilty about my addiction to Diet Coke. By the way, do a search on the internet for addiction to Diet Coke sometime and you'll see that I'm a member of a popular club. I just hope caffeine never goes the way of alcohol and other drugs and becomes outlawed. Yikes -- what'll I do?

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home