Wednesday, August 31, 2005

MOT: one, Trolls: ZERO!

How to Fight the good fight.

Now while I realize I am an in-yer-face kind of person, who enjoys a good fracas now and then, I will not tolerate insults to my children. No one can say they're horrible, except me!

I went to my favorite shopping haunt today, Nordstrom: home of fancy shcmancy cosmetic lines and location of the nicest Ladies Lounges in the entire mall. Nordstrom also has a Café, that features a children’s’ menu and where one’s children are given paper placemats and crayons. I was sitting in a corner, on a bench seat, eating my $15 chicken salad sandwich, and Baby B and Baby A were being really good, for once. Baby A was amusing himself with the aforementioned crayons and Baby B was eating chicken and basically just standing on the bench seat and looking around. He has a bad habit of tossing things around, which is unfortunate, but HE IS TWO. He has no self-control and I am starting to respect that. It’s not worth hearing him scream bloody murder because I try to get him to sit down when he wants to stand up.

Well, he tossed a crayon a bit far and it landed on another patron's lap. This patron was one of those fat/skinny old ladies, you know, age 62, wearing a tight shirt with that fat roll along her waist at the back, and a long skirt that doesn't quite hide her varicose veined chicken legs. She had the nerve to actually stand up and tell me I should take my children to a restaurant that is more appropriate for children, or perhaps I could just eat in the Ladies' Lounge?

What!? Right away I said, “This Café does welcome children; witness the Children’s Menu and the crayons! Besides, I am not going to sit with the toilets and eat just because I have children. I will not be discriminated against.” She just looked at me, with this sneer, and said, “Your children are obnoxious.” I shot back, “Well, when you are in a nursing home they’ll be the ones taking care of you, so you’d better be nice to them now.” She left and I sat back down. I hope the other patrons heard me, because I know I am right.

Later, when I got home, I called the Café, and spoke to the manager. I explained what had happened and asked, “Am I not to come to the Café if my children are two, act like they are two and are twins to boot?” The nice manager, Adam, said, “We get that older element in all the time, your children are always welcome and I apologize. You should have come over and spoken to me right away – I would have taken care of it.”

Ha ha, Troll-Woman! Take that! Not only does the Café itself support my children’s behavior, but they were also ready to spot me lunch. So take that crayon and shove it, you old bag. You are the one who is unwelcome, and yer ugly too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You go, girl! Although I'd never have taken MY twins (who are obnoxious) to Nordies for lunch. You're also brave!

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly support you in protecting your boundaries and standing up for your rights. However...when you let that old lady get under your skin...and lose your temper...she has already beaten you. You may get a few "you go girl," from other people who are cheerleaders for angry behavior, but personally speaking...I am more impressed by the individual who can stand up for their rights in a pointed, direct and strong manner without being (your term) "obnoxious." When you let them take you out of your mood, they have already won the argument.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I was with you when the written-about event took place and have talked to you at length about it, I'm not going to comment on it. I will, however, comment on the fact that spammers seem to be infiltrating blogs now. What's up with that?! I find it very annoying that people are trying to use your -- and others' -- blog(s) to advertise their product and to do so anonymously so that you can't respond to their intrusive behavior. If you can't join in on the conversation that is taking place, don't join in! We're all capable of doing a search on the internet for products that we need or want -- we don't need spammers coming to us! At least, I don't.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Mother of Twins & More said...

Preacher Mom, that darling, made a comment on some comments that were obviuosly spam, which I deleted. Kisses!

PS Anthony - I usually bite my tounge along with my lunch, but I just felt like letting the troll have it. She needed to be taught a lesson somehow...

7:53 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I can't believe that woman had the nerve to say that to you.
Good for you for letting her have it.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home